If you are here, you already know that a self-hosted WordPress blog is a double edged sword of benefit and risk. Unlike those running sites hosted at WordPress.com, if you host your own blog the issue of maintaining security is one that falls to you.
Hackers are always looking for new security holes to exploit, and securing sites against them has been an ongoing battle since the very first version of WordPress. If you have been hacked you should clean hacked wordpress website immediately , and try to setup more layers of protection to your website.
What Can Happen If My Site Gets Hacked?
Hackers use security breaches to slip spam links into your database and theme files. They use CSS to make them invisible so you won’t even realize they are there. As a result you may:
- Start getting traffic looking for “Viagra”
- Your PageRank might drop
- Google may de-index your site
- The infection can also spread to other database driven applications, such as forums
- If you run Adsense, you may even get yourself banned for breaking the TOS
- In a nutshell, you may loose all your online business and earnings!